The Adventures of Cindy Li
VW Beetle: Headlight Replacement
September 29 , 2005 296 comments
So my friend Jenny told me that my headlight was out.
This would be an easy fix on any non-German car but alas I own a VW Beetle circa 2001. So I found an on-line article 3 years ago.. I tried to find it again… no luck. But wait, I found the printout that I kept just in case! So I pressed the secret x marks the spot place inside the hood of the car near the headlight, and pushed the lever (these are not obvious BTW) and out came the headlamp.
Things you will need
If you want to further your knowledge on your VW beetle. I bought this book to help guide me along. It has some tips and its a nice reference to have.
Let's get started
NOTE: Click on the photos and there are notes on the photos.
- Pull the lever to open the hood inside the left side under your steering wheel
- Open the hood
- There is a black plastic lever on the column to the
Passenger's side view vs. Driver's side:
- Push it so that it "loosens" the column holding the light casing
- Gently push the column forward to get the entire casing for the headlight bulb out
- Unhook the wires attached to the light
- Take the light out on a table and unclip the black tab
- Then I took the lovely piece to the kitchen
- Unhooked the clips on the side of the casing, and then the wire clip holding the bulb.
(Closed clip versus Open clip)
- Touch only the metal part or use a paper towel to hold the new headlight bulb (halogen bulbs do not like oil from our hands)
- Reversed the process and put it back in the car!
And voila instant fix. :) Saved the $70 the dealership charged my co worker for the same thing.. cost of the bulb $7 from Walmart! or get the Sylvania light that ran $18.95 plus tax for the H1 (blue light its supposed to be better)
Additional Posts about VW Beetle Lights
If you are looking for how to change out VW Beetle Tail lights or replacing your VW Beetle Third Brake Light. Please don't ask me about any additional VW Beetle fix it questions. I only post what I have done. It keeps me out of trouble. I am not a mechanic and I no longer own the VW beetle. Thank you!
Like the tip?
Leave a tip :)